Guitars Of The Week:
The Week of October, 9 2000 through October, 15 2000
Maple Top on Mahogany - Cobra
Deep Ocean Blue
Last week we played “Who Wants to be An Andersonaire.” We hope you enjoyed it. As always, we try to make things fun and informative. Here is another quick look at this beautiful guitar. This week we are featuring the questions with the awaited answers and explanations. We hope you find them enlightening.
The first question is:
1) The maker of this beautiful looking, wonderful sounding and perfect playing guitar is:
a) Fender Musical Instruments
c) Paul Reed Smith
d) Tom Anderson Guitarworks
The correct answer is: d) Tom Anderson Guitarworks. The “Who Wants To Be” questions always start out rather easy. If you missed this one you must be on our site by mistake but we are glad to have you.
2) The name of this gorgeous guitar is:
a) Reticulating Python
b) Rosy Boa
d) Thunder Lizard
The correct answer is: c) Cobra. We named this powerful guitar with the wonderful tone after Carroll Shelby’s original muscle car from the early 1960s’. That beautiful automobile has long been thought of as the world’s quickest street machine—and they look so cool!
3) This stunning guitar impressed Roy so much that it is now at the top of his personal wish list. The color is:
a) Bora Bora Blue
b) Deep Ocean Blue
c) Tip Toe Blue
d) Periwinkle Blue
The correct answer is: b) Deep Ocean Blue.
4) Tom Anderson guitars come strung with what strings:
a) Erine Ball
The correct answer is: c) Elixir. They are made by the Gore Corporation. These are the same people that make the Gore-Tex material. The strings are coated with Teflon. They sound like strings that have been played-in for 30 minutes and stay that way for months.
5) This wonderful instrument is unique to all other Anderson models in that it features a:
a) 24 ¾-inch scale length
b) 25-inch scale length
c) 25 ½-inch scale length
d) 28 5/8th-inch scale length
The correct answer is: a) 24 ¾-inch scale length. All Cobra models feature a 24 ¾-inch scale length. This is one of Cobra’s important sonic producing ingredients.
6) Due to its scale length and choice of body and neck woods, the tone of this guitar is:
a) Open and airy
b) Focused and powerful midrange
c) Thunderous bottom end
d) Sparkling rich highs
The correct answer is: b) Focused and powerful midrange. Cobra features a maple topped mahogany body, mahogany/rosewood neck and 24 ¾-inch scale length. The nature of this combination is to focus and concentrate sound into the mid-frequencies.
7) The “Dreaded Keeper of the Stone” was instrumental in first helping Tom Anderson Guitarworks develop this color:
a) Gorilla Goop Green
b) Deep Ocean Blue
c) Tiger Eye
d) Tortoise Burst
The correct answer is: c) Tiger Eye. The March 12, 2000 “Guitar of the Week” explains how we came to meet the “Dreaded Keeper” and the symbiotic relationship that was formed.
8) During Guitar of the Week’s expedition to Mount Everest, the Sherpa guide’s name was:
The correct answer is: b) Cameron. Although I did meet him high in the Himalayas, he is not a real Sherpa but he is “the guy” at Grandma’s Music in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
9) The feature on the 6120 Orange, Drop Top could have been written by what famous author:
a) Dr Seuss
b) Mark Twain
c) Mary Shelly
d) Ernest Hemingway
The correct answer is: a) Dr Seuss. If you loved Dr Seuss as a kid or if your kids love him now, you must read “Guitar of the Week” for May 28, 2000.
10) All of the amazing sounding pickups used in Tom Anderson guitars are designed and manufactured by:
b) Tom Anderson Pickupworks
c) Seymour Duncan
The correct answer is: b) Tom Anderson Pickupworks. Although all these pickup companies are great, we design and manufacture all of the pickups used in Tom Anderson guitars. This allows us to further shape and match tone for each individual player and guitar.
11) What animal is best adapted to life at higher altitudes:
The correct answer is: d) Yak. We learned on our trek through the Himalayas on September 3, 2000 “Guitar of the Week” that a Yak is the animal best suited to living at higher elevations.
12) Tom Anderson Guitarworks’ Dave Wakefield sports an impish grin and is pictured with which extraordinary guitar:
a) Sparkle Silver Cobra
b) Forest Green Drop Top
c) Baby Blue Classic
d) Rickenbacker 12-string
The correct answer is: a) Sparkle Silver Cobra. Many answered this question with “c” but that was Bob holding the Baby Blue and he certainly is not sporting an impish grin. To see the infamous impish grin check out “GOTW” for August 13, 2000.
13) What is the color that adorned the very first Tom Anderson Drop Top:
a) Bora Bora Blue
b) Honey Burst
d) Shell Pink
The correct answer is: a) Bora Bora Blue. Since we had just invented a brand new guitar model, the Drop Top, we had to have a color to go along with it and greenish-blue was the shade. It reminded us of looking at shallow Tropical Ocean water from a cliff on Bora Bora. See “GOTW” for May 21, 2000.
14) Translucent Purple is a beautiful color. The beneficial substance in grape juice that increases vascular elasticity is:
b) Vitamin C
The correct answer is: c) Flavonoids. Flavonoids are found in red wine and grape juice. It may be one of the most important discoveries on heart and vascular health. See “GOTW” for May 7, 2000.
15) Jesse wears a unique item to protect his privacy when he gets his picture taken:
a) A wedding ring
c) A bag over his head
d) An Anderson guitar
The correct answer is: c) A bag over his head. He is the man responsible for choosing the maple top for your guitar. As you might imagine everyone wants to know Jesse. See “GOTW” for July 9, 2000.
16) Tom Anderson’s personal favorite guitar is probably:
a) Drop Top
c) The Classic
d) Pro Am
The correct answer is: b) Cobra. Tom keeps coming back to this magic serpent as the guitar he gigs with the most.
17) What is the name of the system that allows Anderson guitars to play more in tune than any other:
a) ABS Tuning System
b) Vintage Voicing Tuning System
c) Pythagorean Theorem
d) Buzz Feiten Tuning System
The correct answer is: d) Buzz Feiten Tuning. Buzz in an absolutely amazing player. He is a pro’s pro. His complex chording will leave you in awe. You can imagine that a player of his caliber needs to have perfect intonation so all his chord shapes will play in tune. After studying Pythagoras’ “Rule of Eighteen” Theorem, much experimentation and real world experience he offered the world the “Buzz Feiten Tuning System.” Once you play it and really experience it you will never want to play without it.
18) An unplugged Anderson guitar rings out beautifully and all this fullness is translated to the amp as well. This unique-to-Anderson character is:
a) Buzz Feiten Tuning System
b) Closet Classic
c) Extend Bandwidth
The correct answer is: c) Extended Bandwidth. Strumming and unplugged Anderson tells it all. It is the richest, fullest tone you will ever experience from an electric guitar. All that wood-tone is heard by the pickups and sent directly to the amp yielding the best sounding electric guitars in history!
19) Roy is most hoping that Tom will buy him this for Christmas:
a) Deep Ocean Blue Cobra
b) Snoopy Key Ring
c) Magic Beans
The correct answer is: a) Deep Ocean Blue Cobra. Even Australia pales by comparison to this magnificent guitar.
20) This most luscious guitar is on its way to:
a) Boynton Music, Nashville
b) Extreme Guitar, Tucson
c) Rocket Sound, Los Angeles
d) New York Guitar & Bass
The correct answer is: d) New York Guitar & Bass. If you check the dealer section of the web site you will find that all the other dealer names are fictitious.
Next week, if all goes well, we will be showing you something new and never seen before on an Anderson. I think you’re gonna love it!
MODEL: – Cobra
FINISH: – Deep Ocean Blue
BODY WOOD: – Maple Top/Mahogany Back
BODY WOOD BACK COLOR: – Deep Ocean on Mahogany
NECK WOOD: – Mahogany with African Rosewood Fingerboard
HEADSTOCK COLOR: – Deep Ocean on Mahogany
NECK BACK FINISH: – Satin
NECK BACKSHAPE: – Cobra Standard
NUT WIDTH: – 1 11/16th-inch
SCALE LENGTH: – 24 3/4th-inch
FRETS: – Heavy
BRIDGE: – Fixed Bridge
HARDWARE COLOR: – Chrome
PICKGUARD: – n/a
NECK PICKUP: – H1-
MIDDLE PICKUP: – n/a
BRIDGE PICKUP: – H2+
SWITCHING: – 5-Way Cobra Standard with 6 sounds
PICKUP COVERS: – n/a
PICKUP RINGS: – Cream
STRING GAUGE REQUESTED: – .010 to .046
Maple Top on Mahogany - Cobra
Deep Ocean Blue
Current Guitars Of The Week
Guitar Of The Week Archives