And they all thought he was mad—quite mad (you know…crazy).
Editor’s note: When we say “crazy,” we are not speaking of our own Dave Wakefield, pictured here holding this Hollow Atom. Read on for further edification. Thanks.
They had all assumed that there was only one way, or maybe two at most, to do an Atom. But Brian Harris of Charley’s Guitar Shop in Dallas, Texas, certainly had other ideas when he ordered this Hollow Atom finished in Sparkle Silver with Transparent Brown sides and back. And it gets better from here. The slick feeling, satin finished, lightening fast Anderson neck back is also finished in Transparent Brown to match. Atop the headstock, a rich, glossy Transparent Brown background provides an elegant backdrop from which the famous A-logo shines. But what really takes this Atom into a whole other realm is the infusion of three superlative-sounding M-Series pickups and a Bigsby tremolo. What on earth was he thinking?
Is he mad? Perhaps, but Brian knew that a Hollow Atom’s visually undetectable hollow sound chambers lend an openness to the overall timbre which moves air with a different distinction—a little wider bandwidth with a slightly more open midrange. This character gives him the perfect platform to incorporate a trio of M-Series pickups—an M1 in the neck and middle positions, for huge single coil sounds, and an M3 at the bridge, for an extra measure of hidden muscle that walks the line into mid-power humbucker territory.
If that wasn’t already enough to take the single coil-sounding world—and far beyond—by storm, the inclusion of an accurately functioning, stable and refined Bigsby tremolo system means all the subtle amenities needed for Rockabilly, Surf and every other type of music requiring this style of trem technique is now available at your beckoned call with the touch of a fingertip or the palm of your hand.
So, is Brian mad or pure genius? Why, certainly he is. He, and we, wouldn’t have it any other way.
• MODEL: – Hollow Atom
• FINISH: – Sparkle Silver with Binding
• BODY WOOD: – Maple Top with Mahogany Back
• BODY WOOD BACK COLOR: – Transparent Brown
• NECK WOOD: – Mahogany with Indian Rosewood Fingerboard
• HEADSTOCK COLOR: – Transparent Brown Gloss
• NECK BACK FINISH: – Transparent Brown Satin
• NECK BACKSHAPE: – Atom Standard
• NUT WIDTH: – 1 11/16-inch
• SCALE LENGTH: – 24 3/4-inch
• FRETS: – Heavy—Exclusive Anderson Stainless Steel
• BRIDGE: – Wraparound—Exclusive Anderson/Pigtail
• TAILPIECE: – Bigsby Tremolo
• TUNING GEAR: – Locking
• HARDWARE COLOR: – Chrome
• PICKGUARD: – N/A
• NECK PICKUP: – M1
• MIDDLE PICKUP: – M1
• BRIDGE PICKUP: – M3
• SWITCHING: – 5-Way with Push/Pull Switch—for 8 Sounds
• PICKUP COVERS: – N/A
• PICKUP RINGS: – N/A
• STRING GAUGE REQUESTED: – .010-.046 Elixir® with NANOWEB® Coating
• DESTINATION/LOCATION: Charley’s Guitar Shop, Dallas, Texas